Day 2 - Agnes Varda

Hello!


This morning we learned more about woman who made a difference in Paris! I learned a ton about Agnes Varda! It was super interesting to go see her grave, as well as her home she lived in and the mural where they remember her in the town! I learned more about her film Cleo from 5-7, which goes through different ages and talks about how it’s different treatment depending on the age you’re at. My reaction was that she truly did pave a new path. She believed what she did, owned those beliefs and created a very successful career! 


Agnes contributed so much not only to France, but the film industry in general. I think her contribution is important for a few reasons. She was a part of the French new wave, and created a whole new track for those to come. She was considered one of them(the filmmakers) right from the beginning, and was one of the makers of modern cinema. I think it’s changed society, her country, and field just by creating this new path. If it weren’t for her, the acceptance and normalization of women in film in France wouldn’t be anywhere near where it is today. 


In my opinion, I think she has been commemorated well. I think the place/statue/school/street named for her is a good way to celebrate her. Like Professor McFarland talked about this morning, she lived right on the streets in the middle of the town. She enjoyed being immersed right into the city. No crazy security, people knew where she lived, and she loved it! She loved the road she lived on; with the name being after the inventor of photography, and enjoyed being able to live just as others did. I think it’s a great way to celebrate her, leaving her house as it was, with no signs or anything crazy, and then having the mural in the town too! I think it would be what she would’ve wanted.


Overall, great day so far!! Going up the Eiffel Tower tonight and then the river boat ride!


Slay. 

Sophie


Comments

  1. This is great, Sophie! I agree that contributed so much to the film industry. It's easy to see her influence in french cinema! French cinema is renowned across the world for being innovative and fascinating, and Varda certainly contributed to that. Her creative innovation really made a huge difference, one that I think furthered France's status as a cultural capital.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I like that you talked about how she really revolutionized the french film industry and helped pave the way for women in cinema. I think that film and cinema in France is such an important part of their culture and helps them maintain their status as a cultural capital. Agnes Varda is synonymous with french film and is a big contributing factor to why it is where it is today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading this! Agnes Varda truly does deepen our understanding of Paris as a cultural capital through her contribution to film. She helped to shape the industry of women in french film and shaped the culture in Paris all around. I think she helped to draw more people, especially women, to Paris through the inspiration she was within her film making.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog post Sophie! You had some great insight about Agnes! One suggestion I do have though is I would have loved to hear about the struggles and trials she had to face while becoming an icon. For example, women were not really taken seriously in the film industry. However, she broke through that and was able to thrive. In today's society it is better than it was back then but it is still super hard for women film directors. I hope as the years go by it keeps getting better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this blog post Sophie! You had some good points about Agnes. I think I would have liked to hear more about her life outside of film. What challenges she had, and maybe even her abortion since the professors taught us that was one of the challenges she faced. Her influence extended beyond French cinema to shape Parisian culture overall. Her filmmaking prowess not only drew more people, particularly women, to Paris but also inspired many through her work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 1 - Palais Garnier - Opera House

Cities free day - Zaanse Schans