Monument of choice - Brandenburg Gate

For my monument of choice I decided to write about the Brandenburg Gate! We got the opportunity to go see this gate and learn more about it, and I thought it was super interesting. When I looked at it, I thought it was really unique. There were many pillars, all leading up to the top which was a sculpture of a woman on a carriage with four horses in front of her. As Rob told us, the woman first represented peace, but as years went on, she now represents victory. I learned a lot about this gate from Rob! Like I mentioned, the gate first symbolized peace and unity, and eventually started to symbolize victory as well. The gate stands as a tribute to all of the history Berlin went through. Napoleon's invasion, the Nazi era, as well as the division of Berlin, and then reunification in 1989. I think this gate is very special as it shows that through all the history, Germany stood victorious and managed through it! 


I believe the Brandenburg Gate is important both culturally and historically for a few reasons. First, it symbolizes Germany’s turbulent history and reunification, like I mentioned before. In addition, during the Cold War, it stood as the division between West and East Germany. Its reopening represented the end of the division and Germany reuniting, which was such a monumental time in history! Today it serves as a powerful figure of unity, freedom, peace, victory, and European history, telling a story to all of its visitors. 


In my opinion, the Brandenburg Gate contributes to Berlin’s status as a cultural capital in many different ways. As a symbol of German unity and resilience, it brings so many people to it, fostering global learning and exchange. As Rob told us, the gate holds different events, like New Year’s celebrations and the Festival of Lights, which focus on Berlin’s bright cultural scene. Its historical and architectural significance mixed with its central role in life in Berlin, the gate is a focal point of the city’s rich heritage and culture.


Bye!

Sophie 



Comments

  1. Super cool post, I didn't write about this one so it was fun to learn more about it! I think it is awesome that Berlin has this as a symbol of their unity and resilience. It is also super cool that they hold events here because I think that definitely helps make a cultural capital a cultural capital! Having a place where people can come together and celebrate holidays and events fosters diversity and exchange of ideas, so the Brandenburg gate probably contributes a lot to that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sophie! I can't believe this is the last post of yours I get to comment on!! I think you did SUCH a good job writing about the Brandenburg gate and its history. It is so cool hearing about how the symbolism of this gate changed so much throughout the time of its existence. This gate contributes to Berlin's status as a cultural capital because it has stood as a symbol for so many different things throughout Berlin's history. By simply visiting it, you are exposed to the sheer amount of history that has occurred around the gate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post Sophie!! I love that you talk about how beautiful the Brandenburg gate is. Learning about this we can understand Berlin better because it represents all of the history that Berlin and Germany have. Including what this gate represents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Sophie! I liked how you gave different reasons the gate contributes to German culture and not just one. Commenting on its relation to German unity was a nice touch. You described your own experience seeing it for the first time well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 1 - Palais Garnier - Opera House

Day 2 - Agnes Varda

Cities free day - Zaanse Schans